Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Even When It Hurts

Life's not always rainbows and butterflies.

Truth is, sometimes the weight of the world is on you, and life hits you at full force.  From the demands of a full-time (literally full time job), to social expectations, to seasonal depression, to daily life stress, to family fears and worries... let's be honest, there's no nice way to put it-- sometimes life just sucks.

Lately has been my "sometimes"...  You know those times when people around you ask how you are, and your first instinct is to say, "I'm fine," but all that comes out is, "I'm okay" or "I'm surviving" --  That's life lately.

Although life has been a tad bit stressful lately, I have felt the nearness of the Lord like never before.  With each and every struggle, I've learned more and more about His character, His faithfulness, and His guidance.  When I have chosen to wallow in the valley, He has met me there.  He has pursued me, and day-by-day moment-by-moment He is drawing me out of the pit and seeing me through the storm.

Through this journey, the Lord has taught me and is still teaching me so many things.  I'm sharing a few of these learned lessons below for two reasons.  First, because I'm prone to wander and quick to forget, I am choosing to record these thoughts as a reminder of His faithfulness.  Also, I'm sharing these thoughts as a proclamation of His faithfulness for His glory, and in the hopes that someone reading this that might be walking through a valley or a storm of her own might connect with the One who calms the wind and the waves.

Here's what I'm learning lately:
  1. It's okay to not be okay.
  2. BUT it's not okay to stay there.
  3. Sometimes admitting that you're not okay is the first step towards healing.
  4. As your Creator, there's no one that can ever or will understand your thoughts, emotions, feelings, or fears better than God.
  5. He speaks through His Word-- be willing and ready to listen.
  6. As you listen and walk through the valley, be obedient-- regardless of how you feel in the moment.
  7. Often the Lord uses the valleys to teach us more about Him, don't get so caught up in the hardship that you miss the lesson in front of you.
  8. Don't isolate yourself. (Note:  If you're anything like me, this is hard.  Look at the community He has placed around you.  Be willing to reach out.  Let them love you.  Let them comfort you.  Let them speak truth into you, and be willing to listen.)
  9. Trust.  He's not lost control even for a second.  His plans are better.  His ways are higher.  He calms the wind and waves; He's got this.
  10. Even when it hurts, praise Him.  He is worthy.  You might not understand His ways or His thoughts-- praise Him anyway.  He is Lord; You are (and I am) not.


When you leave the valley or sit in the aftermath of the storm, don't for one second forget His faithfulness.  Remember it, record it, trust it, walk in it.  Let Him transform you.  Let Him mold you.  We serve such a good God.  To quote a childhood song, "He's got the whole world in His hands" -- that includes you, little one-- rest easy, He's got this.

"And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in your will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."  - Philippians 1:6

"For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin." - Romans 14:23

"But the Lord is faithful.  He will establish you and guard you against the evil one."
- 2 Thessalonians 3:3

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me." - Psalm 23:4

No comments:

Post a Comment